Saturday, December 31, 2011

My 11 favorite songs of 2011

This is my list of the songs that I would put together as a mix that represent the songs I loved and listened to the most over the year. I'm not going to even argue that some of these are great vocally or manufactured in production, but they are the songs I liked best.  The rule is that there can only be one song per artist. eleven for 2011 in no particular order:

We Own The Night- Lady Antebellum

It's a apply song that makes me think of times when I was younger and I was driving around town in a car with my friends doing next to nothing.  

You and I- Lady Gaga
There were three artists this year that I had a hard time with choosing only one. Long time fans knew this song when she performed it on tour with only her piano.  I'm not a huge fan of the Shania Twain background music, but lyrically it's near the best song Lady has ever written. This was the year when she learned who her true fans were as her born this way album has been less successful but has exceeded anything she released previously.  

 The Lazy Song- Bruno Mar

This is pure pop candy, and it is awesome to bop around the house to for anyone having a lazy day like I am today

Call Your Girlfriend- Robyn

Robyn is starting to get a little more respect this year in America.  Call Your Girlfriend is a song about breaking up that feels lyrically fresh and new.  

We found Love - Rihanna featuring Calvin Harris

Rihanna continues her superstar status with this joyful dance floor song.  

Breaking Down- Florence and the Machine

Ceremonials was full of so many great songs that it is hard to choose. But I chose this lesser known track that feels like insanity and sadness, and it feels influenced by a lot of 80s music like the Cure, Depeche Mode and Siouxsee and the Bandhees. 

Rivers and Roads- The Head and The Heart

A great folk rock song about the challenges we face in this thing called life.  

Til the World Ends- Britney Spears

I wasn't such a huge fan of Femme Fatale or her lazy stage show this year. But this is a song that you can dance to early in the morning.  The fade out followed by the return of the music is a great addition.  

Super Bass- Nicki Minaj

In 2010 I bought pink Friday without hearing a track. I was disappointed because I felt Nicki was playing a supporting track on her own album.  But then I discovered this track that was on the deluxe album, and I changed my mind. After seeing her live, Nicki Minaj should be a musical force to reckon with for years to come.  

Mama's Broken Heart- Miranda Lambert

With her own album and the Pistol Annie's album there are so many choices. But this song about sucking it up and letting go of drama is a standout.  

We are young fun. Featuring Janelle Monae

I discovered this late in the year. This not particularly deep song is a great anthem for never ending youth and friendship.  

No comments:

Post a Comment